Subject: bug#4157: Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_bug#4157:_23.1.50;_faulty_character_character?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?isation_for_=E4?=

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:38:29 +0200

Am 27.08.2009 um 13:33 schrieb Kenichi Handa:

>> What I wonder is why so many different font encodings are used when
>> characters are described. Wouldn't it make sense to use an iso10646-1
>> encoding in an UTF-8 environment for characters from 8-bit ISO
>> encodings? Wouldn't it free resources when less fonts are used? Or is
>> it my fault that I include definitions for ISO encodings in my  
>> font set?
>
> I don't understand what you are saying.  Please tell more
> precisely what these mean:
>   o font encoding

     x:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60- 
iso8859-1 (#x20)
     x:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60- 
iso8859-15 (#xE6)
     x:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60- 
iso10646-1 (#x20AC)

>   o characters from 8-bit ISO encodings

For example SPC or æ in the examples above.

>   o include definitions for ISO encodings in my font set?

     (create-fontset-from-fontset-spec "-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium- 
r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter" t 'noerror)
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-1  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-1"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-2  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-2"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-3  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-3"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-4  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-4"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"    'cyrillic- 
iso8859-5  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-5"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"      'hebrew- 
iso8859-8  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-8"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-9  '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-9"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-14 '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-14"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"       'latin- 
iso8859-15 '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso8859-15"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter"		   'thai- 
tis620 '("lucidatypewriter" . "iso10646-1"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter" 'mule- 
unicode-0100-24ff '("code2000" . "iso10646-1"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter" 'mule- 
unicode-2500-33ff '("code2000" . "iso10646-1"))
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-10pt_lucida_sans_typewriter" 'mule- 
unicode-e000-ffff '("code2000" . "iso10646-1"))

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.
				– Anthony's Law of Force