Subject: bug#4157: 23.1.50; faulty character characterisation for ä

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:11:00 +0200

Am 24.08.2009 um 14:22 schrieb Kenichi Handa:

> Please try to load ucs-normalize and set
> file-name-coding-system to utf-8-hfs.

My test files were originally on an HFS+ and on an UFS (UNIX File  
System) volume (partition, slice, ...). This evening I copied them to  
an MS-DOS FAT16 file system. When I invoke GNU Emacs with -Q I see in  
all three file systems the decomposed characters in the file names.  
With ucs-normalize loaded and file-name-coding-system set to utf-8- 
hfs the look in all three file systems OK. This makes the chosen name  
utf-8-hfs not the best. Maybe utf-8-osx is more appropriate.

Anyway, I get good results with:

	(require 'ucs-normalize)
	(setq file-name-coding-system   'utf-8-hfs)
	(prefer-coding-system           'utf-8-hfs)

Isearch works, *Buffer List* contains the correct names – only the  
Buffers menu fails (except when in the Cocoa Emacs.app). Possibly  
this is best reported in another bug report.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Treffen sich zwei Funktionen.
Sagt die eine: „Verschwinde oder ich differenzier' dich!“
Erwidert die andere: „Ätsch, ich bin exponentiell!“