Subject: bug#41563: Possible bug with 'sort -Vr' version sorting

From: Danie de Jager <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:07:32 +0200

Hi,

I use sort -Vr to sort version numbers. I noticed this discrepancy on
the latest kernel version from Centos 7.8.

command to get output:
# ls -t /boot/vmlinuz-* | sed "s/\/boot\/vmlinuz-//g" | grep -v rescue
| sort -Vr
3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64
3.10.0-1127.8.2.el7.x86_64
3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64

I'd expect the middle value to be the highest version number. Is this
by design or a bug? If it is a bug please let me know if I must log it
somewhere.

Version details:
# sort --version
sort (GNU coreutils) 8.22
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Mike Haertel and Paul Eggert.

Regards,
Danie de Jager