Subject: Re: bug#41541: merge wip-hurd-vm

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 12:16:33 +0200

> Now, how could we have runsystem run another RC?  Hmm, runsystem is
> being called with --load and --system arguments too; we could even
> give it an --rc=RC-FILE if that's more convenient.
>
> Then, we would only need to add this RC-FILE to the system, maybe add a
> %hurd-"something" service?
>
> Hmm.  Please share your thoughts, I'm having a go at this.

Having an RC argument passed directly by the bootloader seems like a
good way to proceed for me. This is somehow remotely similar to what we
are doing with the "initrd" on Linux (pointing to some piece of code
that needs to be loaded before starting the init process).

You would also need to store this RC argument in the <boot-parameters>
record, by adding a new field or stuffing it in the "initrd"
field. Then, we wouldn't need an extra service I guess.

If we are going that way, the procedures in (gnu build hurd-boot) could
be passed the "hurd" package to install, and we could maybe get rig of
the "/hurd" symlink?

Thanks,

Mathieu