Subject: Re: bug#41541: [PATCH 3/8] system: Add 'multiboot-modules' field to <boot-parameters>.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 12:13:43 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe writes:

Hello!

>> +             (mach (if (%current-target-system)
>> +                       ;; A cross-built GNUmach does not work
>> +                       (with-parameters ((%current-system "i686-linux")
>> +                                         (%current-target-system #f))
>> +                         mach)
>
> Maybe it would make more sense to check if we are on a Hurd system,
> rather than just checking for %current-target-system to be set, don't
> know.

Ah yes.  When this IF runs we already checked that we are building a
hurd system; this adds two lines leading up to the above snippet

  (if (operating-system-hurd os)
      (let* ((mach (operating-system-kernel os))
             (mach (if (%current-target-system)

...but that means that this last IF is maybe unnecessarily implicit and
only really makes sense by adding/remembering that context.  Changed it
to

             (mach (if (and=> (%current-target-system) hurd-triplet?)

I guess that's friendlier?

>> +         (libc (if target
>> +                   (with-parameters ((%current-target-system #f))
>> +                     (cross-libc target))
>> +                   glibc))
>
> In the future, it would be nice to make this think transparent. Anyway,
> for now this is the best we can do I think.

Yes, I've added a comment

                     ;; TODO: cross-libc has extra patches for the Hurd;
                     ;; remove in next rebuild cycle
                     (cross-libc target))

I have now 8 squash! commits; I'll be resetting wip-hurd-vm just once
more before merging, after checking in with Ludovic and re-running some
tests.

Really looking forward to seeing a Guix Hurd VM hookup-up in bayfront
and really start building a Hurd system, mabye we'll see some more
people join in.  I think that should be (almost?) possible after
merging, right?

Greetings, Janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com