Subject: [bug#41538] [PATCH] guix scripts: Mention Guix checkouts + gcroots/auto when warning about disk space.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 23:27:13 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * guix/scripts.scm (warn-about-disk-space): Mention Guix checkouts, system profiles and
> gcroots/auto.

[...]

> -      (display-hint (format #f (G_ "Consider deleting old profile
> -generations and collecting garbage, along these lines:
> +      (if profile
> +          (display-hint (format #f (G_ "Consider deleting old profile
> +generations, deleting old Guix checkouts and collecting garbage, along these
> +lines:
>  
>  @example
> -guix gc --delete-generations=1m
> -@end example\n"))))))
> +guix package --profile=~s --delete-generations=1m
> +guix pull --delete-generations=20d # Guix checkouts
> +guix system delete-generations=2..9 # System generations
> +guix gc --free-space=5G
> +@end example

‘guix gc --delete-generations=1m’ deletes generations of both
~/.guix-profile and ~/.config/guix/current.  (When running as root it
does that for all the users.)

I would not recommend ‘guix system delete-generations’ here because it’s
only accessible to root.

> +You might also want to delete old non-default profiles pointed to by
> +the symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots/auto (broken symlinks in this
> +directory will be automatically removed).")

IMO hints should remain concise, and I’m afraid this might be too much.
Also, /var/guix/gcroots/auto is an implementation detail; I’d recommend
running ‘guix package --list-profiles’ instead.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.