Subject: Re: [bug#41538] [PATCH] guix scripts: Mention Guix checkouts + gcroots/auto when warning about disk space.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 11:03:28 +0200

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think newbie users might not know whether it applies or not.  Given
> that 'guix gc --delete-generations' removes old generations of _all_
> user profiles, perhaps we can just keep that instead of listing each of
> the various ways to --delete-generations?

I think this is not just about newbie users, but also a reminder of
the full list of what you have to go through to clean up your system
(including system profiles which take up a lot of space).
I've used Guix for a while now and I still frequently forget to clean up
either one of these profiles: Guix, default, non-defaults, system.

I think it's fine if the list has 4 items instead of 1: if the newcomer
does not understand everything, they'll move on.  Once they do
understand, they will be properly reminded to do it.

> It looks a bit overwhelming to have to do all that just to make some
> space in the store, especially when there is a single command to do all
> of them.

Does

  sudo guix gc --delete-duration=DURATION

delete all profiles including system profiles and non-default profiles?
If so, then it's fine but:

1. The user might not want to delete profiles of other users.
2. It requires root privileges.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/