Subject: Re: [bug#41538] [PATCH] guix scripts: Mention Guix checkouts + gcroots/auto when warning about disk space.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 11:29:01 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> ‘guix gc --delete-generations=1m’ deletes generations of both
> ~/.guix-profile and ~/.config/guix/current.  (When running as root it
> does that for all the users.)

Today I learned something! :)

> I would not recommend ‘guix system delete-generations’ here because it’s
> only accessible to root.

I still find it a useful tip because system generations may eat up a lot
of space and are easily forgotten.

What about adding "if you have root privileges"?

>> +You might also want to delete old non-default profiles pointed to by
>> +the symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots/auto (broken symlinks in this
>> +directory will be automatically removed).")
>
> IMO hints should remain concise, and I’m afraid this might be too much.
> Also, /var/guix/gcroots/auto is an implementation detail; I’d recommend
> running ‘guix package --list-profiles’ instead.

Good point.  What about this then?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
You might also want to delete old non-default profiles returned by `guix
package --list-profiles`.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Cheers!

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/