Subject: bug#41531: 27.0.91; Better handle asynchronous eldoc backends

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 16:12:40 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 08.07.2020 16:25, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> - do a quick version of the code for yourself.
>> - then compare that with Joao's version.
>> - then do a mix of:
>>    - argue to change or remove some parts of his code (those that would
>>      make it difficult for you to install your code on top of his)
>>    - keep the other changes to apply them after he installs his
>
> Since he went ahead, ignored the review and pushed the changes,
> apparently I can just do the same now.
>
> That just leaves the buggy new features which went in without proper
> justification. Can I go ahead and remove them, then?

I think you should M-x report-emacs-bug and explain the bug. 

Please stop falsely claiming I "ignored" you review.  This is distateful
and offensive.  I replied to both emails: neither were a code review
like Eli's and Stefan's were, which were much easier to follow.  For the
first one I replied diligently to each point as I could, especially when
direct mentions to code that weren't related to futures and when I could
understand your question.  While the first email was already quite full
of tension and off-hand remarks about my code being offensive and
undemonstrated claims about code being bad in general, the second one
was worse in that respect, it was purely opinative and again conflated
most issues with your penchant for an implementation based on futures,
making it extremely hard to follow your point, as I already told you.

Therefore, I suggest you describe the issues with M-x report-emacs-bug
for bugs and for features that you don't understand the value of.  Make
a separate bug report for each problem.  Again, I promise to reply to
those.  Here are suggestions for subject lines of those bug reports, as
I gathered them from my reading of your emails:

- No purpose in `eldoc-documentation-enthusiast`
- `eldoc-documentation-compose` causes blinking
- `eldoc-documentation-functions` should use futures library
- `eldoc-print-current-symbol-info` is extremely complicated
- This much simpler patch would solve all of Eldoc's asynchronous problems
- Eldoc now eats my homework

Etc, etc.  Hopefully some progress can be made in those discussions.

Thank you very much,
João