Subject: Re: bug#41531: 27.0.91; Better handle asynchronous eldoc backends

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 12:31:05 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2020 10:21:43 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> I'm surprised the NEWS entry I had written got lost. In the git rebasing,
> maybe.

There is a NEWS entry in the branch, but it only says this:

  -*** 'eldoc-documentation-function' is now a user option.
  -Modes should use the new hook instead of this user option to register
  -their backends.
  +*** New user option 'eldoc-documentation-strategy'
  +The built-in choices available for this user option let users compose
  +the results of 'eldoc-documentation-functions' in various ways.  The
  +user option replaces 'eldoc-documentation-function', which is now
  +obsolete.

I don't see how by reading this anyone could understand that the
change allows significant new functionality.  maybe you wrote more
than that, and it did get lost somehow?

(FTR, I did "git diff ...origin/scratch/eldoc-async" to see the
changes on the branch.)