Subject: bug#41531: 27.0.91; Better handle asynchronous eldoc backends

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:31:10 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Stefan, Dmitry, Andrii and maintainers,
>
> Moving the discussion that started in
> https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/pull/459 to the bug tracker, and
> attaching the two patches that contain what I think is a decent
> short-term solution to the eldoc/async problems.

Hello again,

The work that started with this discussion is now mostly complete.  It
has been sitting in the scratch/eldoc-async branch of the Savannah repo
for a while, but I've been very busy and didn't have time to annouce it.

I've cleaned it up to to a four commit effort which.

    99fd115a8c Make more parts of Emacs use new Eldoc capabilities
    aaf5dfc71e * lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc.el (Version): Bump to 1.1.0
    62dc1d4824 New M-x eldoc for on-demand and interactive documentation requests
    6c54414d5f Better handle asynchronous Eldoc sources

I had good feedback on and off-list about it.  It works with a version
of Eglot in its scratch/work-with-new-eldoc branch.

There is of course a lot that can still be fixed or added, especially in
the domain of controlling the outlets for documentation (which now are
restricted to the echo area, and poorly formatted buffer).

Anyway I think my efforts are ready to push to master.  I'll do so soon
unless someone raises a serious problem about it.

Dmitry has expressed his intent to make the new eldoc.el work with a new
futures/promises library.  He prototyped one of those libraries.  I have
nothing against that in the future.  However,

1. I don't have the resources to make the eldoc.el prototype work with
   Dmitry's or other libraries;

2. We should revisit the purpose and the details of that and other
   libraries in a separate discussion.  For now it's high time we
   advance the Eldoc libray;.

Thanks,
João