Subject: bug#4153 closed by Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]> (Re: error in `sentence-end-base')

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:30:22 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4153: error in `sentence-end-base'

It has been closed by Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4153: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4153
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: error in `sentence-end-base'
From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:22:36 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

> > there is obviously an error in the `sentence-end-base' variable,
> > defined in lisp/textmodes/paragraphs.el (and also set in sgml-mode.el
> > and texinfo.el) as:
> >
> > "[.?!][]\"'””)}]*"
> >
> >  There are two `U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK' characters in the
> > class

> The first cheracter has code-point 0x2149, and the second one has
> code-point 0x727D; both code-points refer to the character 8221.

> IIUC, this is some hold-over from pre-unicode Emacs.  Handa, could you
> verify this?  I assume it's ok to remove one of these characters?

Yes.  I've just installed these changes.

2009-08-18  Kenichi Handa  <[email-masked]>

	* textmodes/paragraphs.el: Change to utf-8.  Adjust coding cookie.
	(sentence-end-without-space): Delete duplicated chars.
	(sentence-end-base): Likewise.

	* textmodes/sgml-mode.el: Change to utf-8.  Adjust coding cookie.
	(html-mode): Delete duplicated chars from sentence-end-base.

	* textmodes/texinfo.el: Change to utf-8.  Adjust coding cookie.
	(texinfo-mode): Delete duplicated chars from sentence-end-base.

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]

Subject: error in `sentence-end-base'
From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:11:09 +0200

 Hello,
there is obviously an error in the `sentence-end-base' variable,
defined in lisp/textmodes/paragraphs.el (and also set in sgml-mode.el
and texinfo.el) as:

"[.?!][]\"'””)}]*"

 There are two `U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK' characters in the
class; I suppose one of them should be different -- `U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE
QUOTATION MARK' perhaps?

 I observed the error in the latest git sources and 23.1.50.1
emacs-snapshot package.

 Štěpán Němec