Subject: 26.3; Request for 'x' for 'execute' in dired menu

From: jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 12:22:32 +0100

Hi all,
I was using dired recently after a very long break from it.

I marked some files for deletion, wasn't sure how to actually trigger
the delete, had a suspicion it was 'x' but checked the menu anyway (I
often use the menu merely as a handy cheat-sheet for the keyboard
commands). It appears not to be there.

If it is actually missing I request it be added as it makes no sense for
beginners, who may actually use the menu with the mouse, to be able to
variously mark stuff but then lack a way of carrying them out.

thanks

jan

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Recent messages:
Contacting host: en.wikipedia.org:443
Mark set
C-x C-g is undefined
Contacting host: en.wikipedia.org:443
Mark set
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [121 times]
scroll-up-command: End of buffer [21 times]
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [4 times]
Contacting host: en.wikipedia.org:443
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail parse-time lao-util thai-util thai-word
shr-color color cl-extra help-mode network-stream starttls url-http tls
gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc url-cache url-auth eww puny
mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr url-queue url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr svg xml dom browse-url elec-pair
helm-gtags subr-x pulse which-func imenu helm-files helm-buffers
helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec
helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm easy-mmode helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib async edmacro kmacro desktop frameset
cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 352911 239249)
 (symbols 48 29182 42)
 (miscs 40 52 278)
 (strings 32 69289 14969)
 (string-bytes 1 2747170)
 (vectors 16 28306)
 (vector-slots 8 726417 94096)
 (floats 8 275 772)
 (intervals 56 12156 6748)
 (buffers 992 15))