Subject: bug#41519: closed (Re: bug#41519: 26.3; transient-mark-mode + WSL + vcxsrv clobbers clipboard)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 15:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41519: 26.3; transient-mark-mode + WSL + vcxsrv clobbers clipboard

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41519: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41519
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41519: 26.3; transient-mark-mode + WSL + vcxsrv clobbers clipboard
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "Crawford, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:15:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Crawford, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 02:28:49 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Yeah

Thanks, done.

Subject: 26.3; transient-mark-mode + WSL + vcxsrv clobbers clipboard
From: "Crawford, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 23:54:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In a fresh 'emacs -q',
whenever I highlight text with the mouse, or S-<right>, or C-spc <right?,
etc, emacs copies the text into the Windows clipboard, and I can't disable
it.  This means that I cannot highlight text in Emacs and replace it with
text previously copied from a Windows program.  I'm running on Ubuntu 18.04
on WSL using VcXsrv.  I've tried every combination of
  transient-mark-mode
  shift-selection-mode
  save-interprogram-paste-before-kill
with no success.
If I disable  select-enable-clipboard , it won't paste from the clipboard,
and setting  select-enable-primary  also doesn't seem to matter.
--Chris

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-09-16 built on lcy01-amd64-030
Windowing system distributor 'HC-Consult', version 11.0.12005001
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
uncompressing simple.el.gz...done
Computing differences between ediffDX5jos and simple.el.gz8D06X4 ...
Processing difference regions ... done
user-error: At end of the difference list [2 times]
Quit
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [13 times]
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer [9 times]
Composing main Info directory...
uncompressing dir.gz...done
Composing main Info directory...done

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=26 --with-modules --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-mailutils --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets
 --with-lcms2 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs26-TP6iDo/emacs26-26.3~1.git96dd019=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -no-pie' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
 -no-pie''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-insert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/chris2/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.90.0/tex hides ~/.emacs.d/lisp/tex
~/.emacs.d/lisp/vc-svn hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/vc/vc-svn
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
~/.emacs.d/lisp/gud hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/gud
~/.emacs.d/lisp/morse hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/play/morse

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff noutline
outline pp eieio-opt view find-func cl-print apropos help-fns radix-tree
misearch multi-isearch cl-extra help-mode parse-time elec-pair
julia-local julia-repl s subr-x term disp-table ehelp finder-inf
tex-site package url-handlers server cint calc-local tex-local miscx
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs customx infox info helpx compilex compile
diredx gud speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe comint ansi-color warnings
find-dired ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs url-vars windowx cycle-buffers editx rect bookmarks
comintx jka-compr cvs-local pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs
git cl-seq cl-macs log-edit easy-mmode message rmc puny seq byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log ewoc cl gv eediff vc vc-dispatcher
ediff-vers cc-ext fortran cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib jkl advice autoinsert paren delsel time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 416738 39072)
 (symbols 48 36151 3)
 (miscs 40 717 1331)
 (strings 32 105894 13053)
 (string-bytes 1 2684022)
 (vectors 16 32585)
 (vector-slots 8 795517 29726)
 (floats 8 104 949)
 (intervals 56 14482 40)
 (buffers 992 29))