Subject: Bug in od?

From: Yuan Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 23:05:16 -0400

Hello,

I recently came across the following behavior.

When using "--traditional x2" or "-x" option, it seems the order of hex
code output for the characters is pairwise reversed (if that's the correct
way of describing it).

For example, using "od -cx" on a test file that contains "123456789\n", you
get the following output:

0000000   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0  \n
                 3231  3433  3635  3837  3039  000a
0000013

It seems like it should be the following instead:

0000000   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0  \n
                 3132  3334  3536  3738  3930  0a00
0000013

The version involved is od in GNU coreutils 8.28.

Best Regards,

Yuan