Subject: bug#41513: closed (Re: bug#41513: `compute-motion' can miscount buffer positions in the presence of 'before-string/'after-string overlays)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 00:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#41513: `compute-motion' can miscount buffer positions in the presence of 'before-string/'after-string overlays

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41513: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41513
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#41513: `compute-motion' can miscount buffer positions in the presence of 'before-string/'after-string overlays
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Stephen Bach <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 20:26:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Stephen Bach <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 14:12:10 -0400
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> Do you have any points of advice for avoiding side-effects when moving
>> the cursor around the buffer programmatically?
>>
>> What I have so far:
>> - Wrap in save-excursion
>> - Bind to t:
>>   - inhibit-point-motion-hooks
>>   - cursor-sensor-inhibit
>>   - inhibit-field-text-motion (for precision, might be superfluous)
>> - Bind to nil:
>>   - goal-column (probably superfluous)
>
> save-excursion should do, usually.
>
>> Thanks Eli, I appreciate the help and also the work you do for Emacs.
>
> You are welcome.

>From skimming this thread, it looks like all issues here were
resolved.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If this conclusion is incorrect, please reply to this email (use "Reply
to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: `compute-motion' can miscount buffer positions in the presence of 'before-string/'after-string overlays
From: Stephen Bach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:30:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Please see the attached demonstration code, runnable with `emacs -Q' and
`eval-buffer'.

When `compute-motion' scans along a buffer range that covers an overlay
with a 'buffer-string or 'after-string property [*] having as its content a
sort-of tricky but not too tricky propertized string (described below),
`compute-motion' can/will return an incorrect POS value.

E.g. an overlay with this plist:

  '(before-string #("AAA" 0 3 (display ""))

This overlay is effectively a no-op for redisplay - the "AAA" string that
would have been printed at the start of the overlay interval is not printed
because its presentation is suppressed by the string's 'display property.
This is right and proper.

However, `compute-motion' appears to interpret this overlay as having an
effective visible length of -3 rather than 0. Ditto if the overlay had
instead had an 'after-string property with the same content. [*] The
effective length being negative suggests to me an overcorrection rather
than missing logic.

([*] Aside: I believe `compute-motion' sometimes also miscalculates
'display as an overlay property for cases where one might reasonably expect
it to work- but I limit this report to 'before-string and 'after-string.)

Popular packages such as flycheck and git-gutter use this pattern of
overlay to annotate the margin and the fringe. The pattern is increasingly
common which in turn increasingly limits the application of
`compute-motion' as a reliable exposed function.

The miscounting appears to exist at least as far back as Emacs 24. Might
there be a mitigation/workaround? I like `compute-motion' despite its
complicated signature and complicated return value (and despite its
apparently rare use in the extended ecosystem) - it's fast and it involves
no cursor movement to perform its measurements.

Thanks for reading.

Testcase output:
=======================================

-------------------------------------
Without overlay:
- ‘point’ at col 30: <31>
- buffer content on and after col 30: <30   35   40   45   50>
- posn coord at col 30: <(30 . 0)>
- buffer pos of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <31>     [ok]
- coord of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <(30 . 0)>
-------------------------------------
With ’before-string overlay:
- ‘point’ at col 30: <31>
- buffer content on and after col 30: <30   35   40   45   50>
- posn coord at col 30: <(30 . 0)>
- buffer pos of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <28>     <<<
INCONSISTENT
- coord of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <(30 . 0)>
-------------------------------------
With ’after-string overlay:
- ‘point’ at col 30: <31>
- buffer content on and after col 30: <30   35   40   45   50>
- posn coord at col 30: <(30 . 0)>
- buffer pos of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <28>     <<<
INCONSISTENT
- coord of col 30 according to ‘compute-motion’: <(30 . 0)>