Subject: bug#41497: 28.0.50; Flawed text formatting of files like etc/TODO, etc/NEWS, etc.

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 17:20:35 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:29:38 +0200, Bastien <[email-masked]> said:
    Bastien>   Temporary note:
    Bastien>   +++ indicates that all relevant manuals in doc/ have been updated.
    Bastien>   --- means no change in the manuals is needed.
    Bastien>   When you add a new item, use the appropriate mark if you are sure it
    Bastien>   applies, and please also update docstrings as needed.

    Bastien> So, +++ both mean that no action is needed, either because the manuals
    Bastien> have been updated already or because they don't need any update.  If
    Bastien> this is meant as a call to action for Emacs maintainers, what is it
    Bastien> (since both say that things are okay)?  If this is meant to the users,
    Bastien> what info is conveyed here?  What means "Temporary note": is it
    Bastien> because --- and +++ are removed right before the release?

Itʼs supposed to be a signal from the person who made the change to
the Emacs maintainers. Lack of both +++ and --- means 'I didnʼt
check', and theyʼre removed just before release.

    Bastien> What about getting rid of --- and +++ in these files and moving the
    Bastien> message is conveys (about the need for an update of the manuals) in 
    Bastien> the etc/TODO file, or in a dedicated etc/PRERELEASE file?

Itʼs a temporary note, I think itʼs important that the message it
conveys be in NEWS where the changes are made rather than in a
separate file (and PRERELEASE doesnʼt work, since these annotations
need to be done as changes are committed, not a year later just before
release).

Robert