Subject: 28.0.50; When accessing sshd via Tramp via Termux on Android: File error: Couldn't find a proper `ls' command

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 08:33:58 +0300

I am trying to use Tramp to access Termux on Android/Replicant, by using
this command:

/ssh:192.168.43.1#8022:/storage/emulated/0/

Yet I get faced with the error:

File error: Couldn't find a proper `ls' command

I have installed there "ls" command from coreutils, and I tried these
checks:

ls -lnd /
drwxr-xr-x 20 0 0 0 Feb  6  1970 /

ls --color=never -al /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Feb  6  1970 /dev/null

$ which ls
/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/ls

Thus ls is there and is working so far, it is from coreutils, not from
busybox. The busybox version did not work.

The ssh connection from terminal works just fine, including the sftp
connection. 

It would be nice to be able to access Android/Replicant devices over
sshd by using Tramp.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 9, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-05-07 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: b2581eea1be1468a15927be00ba2f3f399af33a1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-05-07 --with-modules
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46634 10093)
 (symbols 48 6086 1)
 (strings 32 16423 1836)
 (string-bytes 1 526914)
 (vectors 16 10157)
 (vector-slots 8 133373 10264)
 (floats 8 24 36)
 (intervals 56 246 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis