Subject: bug#41496: 28.0.50; When accessing sshd via Tramp via Termux on Android: File error: Couldn't find a proper `ls' command

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 16:58:41 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,
 
>> I guess you need to add that directory to your remote PATH. See variable
>> `tramp-remote-path'.
>
> Thank you, I did change that, and I still get the same error.
>
> If I start emacs -Q, then I can login, it works well, provided I have
> changed that path.
>
> Do you know maybe how can I debug that? I need my Emacs settings and
> with it, I get this same error.

Usually, you should bisect your ~/.emacs. That is, comment half of the
settings, and check whether it works.

If it works, you know the problem is in the commented part, which you
can bisect, again.

If it doesn't work, comment the other part of your ~/.emacs, and check
again. And so on, until you know the problematic setting in your ~/.emacs.

> tramp-remote-path is a variable defined in ‘tramp-sh.el’.
> Its value is
> (tramp-default-remote-path "/bin" "/usr/bin" "/sbin" "/usr/sbin"
> "/usr/local/bin" "/usr/local/sbin" "/local/bin" "/local/freeware/bin"
> "/local/gnu/bin" "/usr/freeware/bin" "/usr/pkg/bin" "/usr/contrib/bin"
> "/opt/bin" "/opt/sbin" "/opt/local/bin"
> "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin")

Maybe it is better to move "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin to the
begin of that list?

> Jean

Best regards, Michael.