Subject: Re: bug#41494: guix build error on armhf - hash-algorithm: unbound variable

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 10:13:47 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 25 May 2020 09:43:36 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK, so “not-a-bug” from my perspective.  :-)

Sure, buy maybe configure could check the guile-gcrypt version or something and
error out? :)

> > $ which guix
> > /usr/local/bin/guix
> > $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/guix
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 Mar  4 15:25 /usr/local/bin/guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix
> >
> > Aha!  That's different to Guix System, right?  
> 
> Yeah.

I mean especially that it doesn't use my regular user's guix (ever), as opposed
to Guix System--where it does.

> > I guess I could guix pull under root user, but that would hide these kind of
> > usability bugs under the carpet :)  
> 
> ‘guix pull’ under the user you want

I don't think guix pull under non-root would help.

I've now added $HOME/.config/guix/current/bin to PATH in ~/.profile of the
regular user manually--let's see.

>, but you have to use a Guix that’s
> recent enough to provide Guile-Gcrypt 0.2.0 or later.  :-)

Thanks for checking :)

But it would be nice to have some kind of nicer error message, if that's
possible.