Subject: 26.3; Cyrillic chars in output of find-dired and find-name-dired looks like '\234\188\123'

From: Viktor Larkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 17:40:51 +0300

Hello.

I've no idea what causes this bug, but... When I do recursive search
with find-dired or find-name-dired with cyrillic chars as search pattern
(e.g. документ) I always get something like '\234\221\123' instead of
correct cyrillic chars in file names and file paths. To reproduce:

1. emacs -Q

2. C-x d

3. M-x find-name-dired

4. RET

5. документ*.txt

6. RET

Output of locale in terminal and in eshell is the same. ru_RU.UTF-8 is a
chosen encoding for LANG and LC_CTYPE. Emacs version is 26.3. GNU findutils
version is 4.7.0.

I've found this topic
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/bvuv9q/cyrillic_letters_dont_work_with_find_in_emacs/eptkhsr/
. Seems like bug is still in the wild.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.12)
 of 2019-11-25 built on hive64.slackware.lan
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
Recent messages:
Undo!
Change in Dired buffer undone.
Actual changes in files cannot be undone by Emacs.
find-dired *Find* finished.
Quit
Making completion list...
You can run the command ‘describe-coding-system’ with C-h C
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Mark set
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --mandir=/usr/man
 --infodir=/usr/info --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-modules
 --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --build=x86_64-slackware-linux
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fPIC''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: ru_RU.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: ru_RU.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ru_RU.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ru_RU.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug mule-diag misearch
multi-isearch org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m bookmark pp eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns
radix-tree thingatpt etags xref project pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu novice
conf-mode em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util gnus-delay gnus-draft
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum
nndraft nnmh shell find-dired quail dired-aux gnus-dired ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox undo-tree diff bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site
timezone org-bullets yasnippet icomplete smtpmail sendmail gnus-topic
gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-win nnoo
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
re-builder ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs epa-file epa derived epg edmacro
kmacro elec-pair cl-extra help-mode time hl-line org-element avl-tree
generator org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
tex-site info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 480598 45587)
 (symbols 48 47686 1)
 (miscs 40 752 933)
 (strings 32 150163 6542)
 (string-bytes 1 4624749)
 (vectors 16 58053)
 (vector-slots 8 1708284 169674)
 (floats 8 314 520)
 (intervals 56 6746 1261)
 (buffers 992 47))