Subject: bug#4147: 23.1.50: Info-search command strange behaviour

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 03:31:50 +0200

> Juri proposed a couple of approaches to fixing that which sounded
> reasonable to me, the simplest seemingly to just back up the length of
> the breadcrumbs afterward (or perhaps use point minus that length to
> begin with). Sure, maybe things are not quite as simple as that -
> I haven't looked into it.

Of course, things are not simple.  First, there is no single place where
to put code to execute on leaving a node.  This place is needed to add
code to remove breadcrumbs from the current node on leaving it because
otherwise breadcrumbs in all nodes above the current node will add their
lengths to the point's position in the current node.

A second problem is that all Info functions assume that point at the
cursor corresponds to the file position.  Finding all places in Info
that use point and recalculating the point's position based on the
length of the breadcrumbs is a big task.  Basically, this means
redesigning of the Info browser.

If you think this is simple, then please send a patch that fixes
this bug. ;-)

> I don't mean to suggest that your efforts are misguided. As I said,
> I haven't followed this closely at all, and you guys are both solid
> and you know what you're doing. I'd just suggest that you _might_ want
> to take a step back and reconsider what the problem and goal are.

The goal is to design a new window infrastructure that supports window
groups.  This is necessary for ECB and also solves many related problems
like using multiple header lines and tabbar, etc.  Now is the right time
to think about new design.  This bug was just an incentive to do this.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/