Subject: RE: bug#4147: 23.1.50: Info-search command strange behaviour

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:21:21 -0800

I don't really want to dive into this thread. I'll just note that it seems, from
a superficial look, like you guys might be getting a bit far afield. ;-)

The bug was about `s' in Info moving point when the search string is not found.
The problem is apparently that it moves forward the length of some breadcrumbs.

Juri proposed a couple of approaches to fixing that which sounded reasonable to
me, the simplest seemingly to just back up the length of the breadcrumbs
afterward (or perhaps use point minus that length to begin with). Sure, maybe
things are not quite as simple as that - I haven't looked into it.

But it seems like you are now off into the deep woods, redesigning plenty of
things. Maybe you headed off the simple track when Juri said this:

 The only sane way I see to fix this problem is:
 1. not to insert breadcrumbs to the Info buffer;
 2. display breadcrumbs in the header line;
 3. not to hide next/prev/up navigation links in the first line
    of the node.

It's not obvious to me why that would be the only sane approach. Or the
simplest, to fix this (minor) problem. From there you went on to multiple-line
header lines, display engine limitations, interactions with tab bars, new
design/implementation for header lines using special windows and buffers, etc.

Are you just having fun, or is this really how you will approach fixing this
bug? ;-)

I don't mean to suggest that your efforts are misguided. As I said, I haven't
followed this closely at all, and you guys are both solid and you know what
you're doing. I'd just suggest that you _might_ want to take a step back and
reconsider what the problem and goal are.

HTH.