Subject: bug#41458: Misleading error message when call guix command using pre-inst-env script

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 17:46:06 +0200

Hi,

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Here is my command line history :
>
>    $ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> $ cd guix
> $ guix environment --pure guix
> [dev]$ ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make &&
> exit
> …
> $ ./pre-inst-env guix build artanis
> guix: build: command not found
> Try `guix --help' for more information.

What probably happens here is that some of the required dependencies
provided in $GUILE_LOAD_PATH by ‘guix environment’ are not available
outside the environment.  As a result, loading the (guix scripts build)
module and its dependencies fail, which the machinery interprets as “no
such command”.

This is a development environment issue that cannot happen when using a
‘guix pull’-provided ‘guix’ command.  I would close it as “wontfix”
since, after all, it’s just one of the many ways one can end up with a
non-functional development environment.

WDYT?

Ludo’.