Subject: Re: [bug#41431] [PATCH] gnu: Add protonvpn-cli.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 22:02:48 +0200

Hi,

Ryan Prior <[email-masked]> skribis:

> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:17 PM, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> there are definitely tests
>
> What makes you so sure? `grep -r '\Wtest' .` suggests that the only reference to testing in the whole repo is in protonvpn_cli/utils.py (wait_for_network) which tests for a network connection at runtime. I don't think they are shipping any tests; setup.py can test to make sure you can actually install your dependencies, but that's not a meaningful upstream test, it's a default behavior.

Oh my bad.  I was fooled by the fact that “something” seemed to be
happening when enabling tests.

>> > -   (license license:gpl3)))
>>
>> This is ‘gpl3+’ AFAICS since nothing says “version 3 only.”
>
> Nothing says "or any later version" either—I had been under the impression that the "plus" was opt-in, but reading GPLv3 again it appears to be opt-out. I don't know, that's not my area of expertise. I've updated the patch to gpl3+ with your recommendation in any case.

Right, there’s this paragraph in the license:

    Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the
  Program specifies that a certain numbered version of the GNU General
  Public License "or any later version" applies to it, you have the
  option of following the terms and conditions either of that numbered
  version or of any later version published by the Free Software
  Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version number of the
  GNU General Public License, you may choose any version ever published
  by the Free Software Foundation.

In Guix we encode it by adding “+” as in “or any later version”.

> From: Ryan Prior <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 22:28:11 -0500
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add protonvpn-cli.
>
> * gnu/packages/vpn.scm (protonvpn-cli): New variable.

Applied, thanks!

Ludo’.