Subject: bug#41429: Shepherd Sometimes Crashes

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 15:14:43 +0300

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 09:59:03PM -0500, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:
> I am running shepherd as a userspace service manager on an alien distro.
> Occassionally (often enough as to cause concern), Shepherd is crashing.
> I am unable to narrow down a cause, but anecdotally, it seems to happen
> more often when a service it's managing fails repeatedly and is
> disabled.
> 
> I'm running `strace` against the Shepherd process in an attempt to
> submit a better bug report, but this is all I have for now. Maybe others
> have also seen this behavior.

I found it happens less often with shepherd-0.8. What version are you
running? Also possibly related, do you have mismatched versions of guile
between guix packages and your distro's native packages?

I've also sometimes found shepherd to crash when I add a service where
the start command is "wrong", as though the error were so bad that
shepherd says "Nope! That's it! I quit!"

I'd suggest looking at .config/shepherd/shepherd.log but it's rather
sparse. Still, it might have something useful.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted