Subject: bug#41423: 27.0.91; eshell file completion in tramp dir is slow (3 minutes) [regression on pretest]

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 18:54:52 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Gregory,

>> However, the remote case could be improved. Tramp uses caches. They
>> expire after a while (10 seconds per default), but this might be
>> improved. The appended patch disables Tramp cache expiry while being
>> in eshell-complete-commands-list, so completion might be faster once
>> the cache has been filled. Could you pls check?
>>
>
> I just checked, and see no visible improvement.

The first time you try completion, there's no difference. The cache must
be filled. But all next times you complete, it shall be faster for
remote directoriues.

> That being said, I don't think this bug should be fixed on the eshell
> level.  It's a bug in the completion mechanisms, and
> `eshell-complete-commands-list' should simply not be called here.

I do not claim my patch is the solution. But it shall be useful, if
eshell-complete-commands-list is called somewhere.

> Gregory

Best regards, Michael.