Subject: bug#41423: Installing the fix for bug#41423 on emacs-27

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 10:59:07 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> IIUC Michael had marked this bug as "blocking" for Emacs-27, so this
> argues for installing it on the `emacs-27` branch.
>
> The patch is not without risks seeing how it changes a function from
> returning a list to returning a function and how it fundamentally
> changes *when* the code is executed.  So I'm not sure whether it should
> go on the `emacs-27` branch:
>
> A- For non-Eshell users it is "obviously safe".
> B- For Eshell-over-Tramp users it should be a clear improvement even if
>    it turns out to introduce some unforeseen regressions in some cases.
> C- Finally, Eshell-not-over-Tramp users should hopefully see no
>    difference at all, which mostly means no improvement to make up for
>    any risk of regression.
>
> So, is the improvement in B worth the risk in C?

For me, the patch is not trivial enough that I can read it fluently. So
I propose to keep the bug open as blocking for Emacs 27, and backport
the patch to the emacs-27 branch only after the 27.2 release. Whether
there will be an Emacs 27.3 doesn't matter then.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.