Subject: Re: bug#41413: guix-install.sh broken on Gentoo

From: Vincent Legoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 10:24:28 +0200

Hello Tobias, ZC,

I created a gentoo VM (i686 / following gentoo handbook) and tried
the official upstream guix installer.

It worked properly, not detecting the OS init system, I think this is
because the gentoo handbook made me install cronie instead of plain
cron, so there's no "/etc/init.d/cron" file. And so it did not try to
install the guix-daemon service init.d file through update-rc.d.
And told me to run the daemon manually, which worked OK.

Running it with a local guix-install.sh + binary tarball with my
pending changes (which includes openrc support). It also worked
properly, detecting the OS as being openrc managed and doing what
is needed.

So, I'll still cook up a patch to fix sysvinit detection, because
assuming sysvinit on the mere presence of /etc/init.d/cron is not
really the right thing to do. (and the fix will need to be tested
on a sysvinit-based distro, which I'll do)

But on the other hand, I don't know what to do with this bug report,
I cannot reproduce the exact problem, and I'm not trying all the other
available cron variants from gentoo (bcron, dcron, fcron).

So either ZC tells us more about his setup and shows us more output
to be able to understand what did go wrong, or we cannot help further.

Couldn't keep ZC CC'ed as the issue was created without his email
address, let's hope he follows it via another way...

-- 
Vincent Legoll