Subject: Re: bug#41409: “guix pull” should show a progress bar for channel updates

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 22:09:21 +0200

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 23:31, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> When I run “guix pull” (or “guix time-machine”) I see this message
>>
>>    Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
>>
>> followed by disconcerting silence.  I can’t tell if it’s doing
>> something, nor can I see what the progress is.
>
> Most of the time is fetching from network so if you have a good
> network connection, this step is not long enough to be disconcerting.
> :-)

It can take several seconds or even over a few minutes when fetching
from multiple channels.  For what it’s worth I got annoyed waiting for
“guix pull” on ci.guix.gnu.org, which has a pretty decent network
connection (even though users on the outside cannot see it this way due
to the firewall). 

-- 
Ricardo