Subject: bug#41408: Add a project-compile command

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 00:55:15 +0300

On 19.05.2020 23:07, Philip K. wrote:

>>> The TODOs mention a `project-build' command, and from my interpretation,
>>> this is a slimmed down version (hence the other name, but also because
>>> it just called compile in a different environment).

Regarding the "build" command, I had a bigger idea with a set of 
abstractions and per-project customizations. But so far nobody's needed 
that, it seems.

>> Is this a command you'd be using yourself? If so, we'll add it happily.
> 
> I wrote it because I needed it, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it,
> hoping others to do.

That's what's important.

 > And I assume others do, since projectile has a
 > similar command (projectile-compile-project).

Projectile has a great many commands, we'll probably refrain from adding 
them all.

>> I'm just asking because it's indeed bare-bones, and I basically never
>> use 'M-x compile' directly.
> 
> Hmm, I regularly use compile/recompile, but maybe that's my mistake. If
> you don't mind me asking, how do you invoke compile or related
> functions?

Someone could give some pointers, but don't mind me: I usually work with 
Ruby, where the main "compilation" is running the tests. And we do that 
(to take advantage of compilation-mode) via a certain abstraction that 
builds up the list of arguments, and uses a mode derived from 
compilation-mode.

 > If I'm doing it the "wrong way", maybe it might not be worth
 > applying this patch.

If you find it helpful, then most likely there will be others that do. 
So please don't worry about that.