Subject: Re: bug#41408: Add a project-compile command

From: [email-masked] (Philip K.)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 22:07:08 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey Philip,
>
> On 19.05.2020 21:24, Philip K. wrote:
>> this patch adds a `compile' command for project.el. It's nothing fancy,
>> just sets the first directory of `project-roots' as `default-directory',
>> and then calls the regular compile.
>> 
>> The TODOs mention a `project-build' command, and from my interpretation,
>> this is a slimmed down version (hence the other name, but also because
>> it just called compile in a different environment).
>
> Is this a command you'd be using yourself? If so, we'll add it happily.

I wrote it because I needed it, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it,
hoping others to do. And I assume others do, since projectile has a
similar command (projectile-compile-project).

> I'm just asking because it's indeed bare-bones, and I basically never 
> use 'M-x compile' directly.

Hmm, I regularly use compile/recompile, but maybe that's my mistake. If
you don't mind me asking, how do you invoke compile or related
functions? If I'm doing it the "wrong way", maybe it might not be worth
applying this patch.

-- 
	Philip K.