Subject: bug#41407: 28.0.50; infinite loop "Article 53570 has a nil data header" on "Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 09:04:28 +0200

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Anyway, this isn't something that Gnus does by default -- do you have
>> any customisations that trigger this behaviour?
>
> What customisations could possibly cause that?

Well, the thing that's bugging out is apparently something in
gnus/spam.el, which isn't used by default...

> At any rate, this was a few months ago and I have not seen it again
> (knocks on wood ;-))

If this happens again, do a

(setq debug-on-message "has a nil data header")

and perhaps the backtrace will give a hint where the bug originates
from.

I've given spam.el a cursory look-over, and trying to follow the bits
that call the function that gives that message, but there's too many
possible code paths (apparently) to pinpoint where this is happening...

But as you can't reproduce the bug now, it seems unlikely that we'll be
able to make further progress here.  If this happens again, try the
debug-on-message trick and open a new bug report, and post the
backtrace.  That should make it easier to track down.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no