Subject: bug#41403: A more user-friendly version of GNU Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:55:36 -0700

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Goh <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Stefan,
> For the M-x command. All I wanted to know is what key combination on
> the keyboard that I should press, just as C-h, stands for pressing the
> Ctrl with the h key.

This information can be found in the tutorial (C-h t):

  Emacs commands generally involve the CONTROL key (sometimes labeled
  CTRL or CTL) or the META key (sometimes labeled EDIT or ALT).  Rather than
  write that in full each time, we'll use the following abbreviations:

   C-<chr>  means hold the CONTROL key while typing the character <chr>
  	  Thus, C-f would be: hold the CONTROL key and type f.
   M-<chr>  means hold the META or EDIT or ALT key down while typing <chr>.
  	  If there is no META, EDIT or ALT key, instead press and release the
  	  ESC key and then type <chr>.  We write <ESC> for the ESC key.

> As for extending Emacs with Ruby and Julia.  What I meant was to
> provide a Ruby and Julia programming mode.

As far as I can tell, there is already built-in support for Ruby. You
should just be able to open any Ruby file and be ready to go.
(There are many other useful Emacs packages for Ruby to find online.)

As for Julia, a quick search reveals this third-party package:

    https://github.com/JuliaEditorSupport/julia-emacs

You could install it from MELPA:

    https://www.melpa.org/

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas