Subject: Re: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 23:09:38 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > OK, I'll try to help, but I don't know what Google or Gmail will do in
  > the future, in general, obviously.

I don't expect you to practice precognition.  But it may be possible
to deduce something by putting their announcements together with other
known facts.  Maybe we could figure out questions to ask them.

  > Your question reminded me that Gmail provides "basic HTML view" which
  > does not require any Javascript whatsoever for sign-in or for the main
  > interface, and thus is fully useable with Emacs Web Wowser (eww).

That is a significant fact.  It means that using Gmail in the free
world won't become entirely impossible.  Thanks.
 
So I modify the question:

   Will Gmail in the future permit access from the Free World
   to read mail with a free local MUA in any manner whatsoever?
   
And there is another followup question:

Is it possible to log in on basic HTML view
passing via a proxy that will hide your actual location?
It is possible that basic HTML view won't allow this.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)