Subject: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 06:32:17 -0700

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
> This is alarming news.  If these reports are correct, they mean that
> Google will entirely cut off access to Gmail from the Free World.
>
> Can you find a web page that describes the danger in a clear way,
> with references to substantiate the warning?  That is the first thing
> we need in order to campaign to convince Google not to do it.

Here are two relevant announcements, I think:

Turning off less secure app access to G Suite accounts
https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/12/less-secure-apps-oauth-google-username-password-incorrect.html

Less secure app turn-off suspended until further notice
https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2020/03/less-secure-app-turn-off-suspended.html

In the second of them, we read:

    Last December, we announced that we’d be turning off less secure app
    (LSA) access to G Suite accounts, and that you should migrate to OAuth
    authentication instead. The first phase of the LSA turn-down was
    scheduled for June 15, 2020. As many organizations deal with the impact
    of COVID-19 and are now focused on supporting a remote workforce, we
    want to minimize potential disruptions for customers unable to complete
    migrations in this timeframe.

    As a result, we are suspending the LSA turn-off until further
    notice. All previously announced timeframes no longer apply.

So I guess this means that in the mid-term, people should seriously
consider leaving Google.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas