Subject: Re: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 23:53:12 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Some email services seem to be moving toward requiring MUAs to support
  > OAuth 2.0, one reason being that they would like MUAs to do two factor
  > authentication.  It would be nice to have this capability in Gnus's
  > nnimap.

This may raise some moral issues -- depending on what practical
requirements there are.  Would you like to explain to me how the
two-factor authentication works in practice, and what the user needs
to have?

For instance, can the user do this using nothing but Emacs running on
some operating system (GNU/Linux, we hope)?  If not, what else does
the user need to have?

Does it require the user to have a portable phone?

Do those email services plan to require two-factor authentication
or offer it as an option for the user?

Are there free implementations of OAuth 2.0?  What are their licenses?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)