Subject: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Deus Max <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 14:22:24 +0200

On Sat, Oct 29 2022, Björn Bidar via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:

> I know this bug is marked as wontfix however more and more providers are
> moving to Oauth2, even those that use plain standards like
> imap/{cal,card}dav/smpt, thous increasing the importance of Oauth2
> support in Gnus.
>
Ditto. OAuth2 authentication is now needed, not just nice to have.
Please re-open ticket.
   
> Some providers like Microsoft require it next year and the employer
> can already enforce the use of Oauth2 [1].
> The argument "just use another email provider" doesn't really work in
> such cases.

Microsoft disabled Basic Authentication for POP, IMAP and other
protocols on Oct. 01, 2022. As you may know, a lot of work places use
office365.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/imap-password-not-working/d4432df0-f7ea-42b7-90e7-2cf1e0e02e4a

My understanding from reading M$ documentation is that now OAuth2 is the
only method for a client to connect to office365 IMAP. Correct me please
if I'm wrong.

>
> Without proper OAuth2 support there is no use for Gnus for such users,
> except to try third party solutions that can help.
>

Sadly true.