Subject: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 23:55:20 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > If the Emacs maintainers wants to get involved with Google on this,
>   > that's fine by me.
>
> Do you mean, that Eli or Stefan should address this problem in Gnus?
> I don't think we can possibly do anything on this.

No, I don't expect them to implement this.  But somebody has to open a
developer account at Google and register the Emacs "application", and
that has to be the FSF.  They will then be able to generate the API
secret key that will then be included, non-secretly, specifically
countering the contract you enter into with Google, when you then
publish it openly in the Emacs sources.

>   >   My stance is that Google is obviously not doing
>   > these changes on a good-faith basis, but as a long-term way to shut off
>   > all avenues of using Gmail without going through the official interface.
>
> That doesn't seem to be what the Kmail developers think.
>
> Many Gnus users will be unhappy if it stops working with Gmail.

Definitely.  But it's not something I can help with.  Blame Google.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no