Subject: Re: bug#41386: 28.0.50; Gnus nnimap OAuth 2.0 support

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 14:46:34 +0200

Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is support for OAuth 2.0 -- perhaps via oauth2.el available in GNU ELPA
> -- something that Gnus could eventually implement?  If so, I guess this
> bug report could be where the idea is discussed.

I don't think there's any way to ship Emacs with built-in oauth2 support
for doing auth with Gmail -- it requires distributions with API secrets
and stuff, and there's no secrets in the Emacs distribution.

Or is there a way to do that now?  I haven't been paying attention the
last few months.  I remember Thunderbird including some credentials in
the source code and saying, jokily, "remember, these are secret".
Somebody would have to register the Emacs "app" with Google, and for
Emacs, that would have to be the FSF, right?  And I don't see that
happening ever, ideologically.

But somebody could definitely write a package and put that on MELPA, and
do the registration, I think?  (With the same joke, of course.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no