Subject: Re: bug#41373: GNU ELPA: Add "reporting bugs" to individual package pages

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:52:47 -0400

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> 5. Adds a "Package:" pseudo-header

That is not the right thing to do.
A debbugs.gnu.org package is not the same thing as an elpa.gnu.org package. [1]
The valid debbugs.gnu.org packages are listed at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/Packages.html
Trying to use one not listed there will result in the mail going to the
help-debbugs list.

Separately, you should add an "X-Debbugs-CC" pseudo-header, because it
seems some mail clients don't allow arbitrary (real) X- mail headers.

I hope this is at most restricted to elpa.gnu.org packages.
There are already thousands of open Emacs bug reports.
If reports for melpa packages start getting funnelled into the same
system, it will make it harder than it already is to find relevant reports.

(Also IMO this doesn't actually fix the issue from this bug report.
Each elpa.gnu.org package should still be defining where it wants its
bug reports to go to. This may be the maintainer address, github issue,
or whatever.)

[1] With some effort, someone could in principle automatically create an
elpa-X package on debbugs for every package X on elpa.gnu.org.