Subject: Re: [bug#41366] [PATCH 4/4] gnu: Add emacs-importmagic.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 23:12:37 +0200

Ryan Prior <[email-masked]> writes:

> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Saturday, May 23, 2020 8:00 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> OOC, are you sure Python packages need to be propagated in this case?
>
> Hi Nicholas! I tried it with the python packages in "inputs" and impotmagic.el complained about not being able to find them. I'm going to be helping with maintenance of importmagic.el so maybe that's something I can fix on the package side?
>
> At present this seems to work better. I don't know yet what the difference is between inputs and propagated-inputs when it comes to Python packages so maybe somebody else might have a better answer.

The difference is that propagated-inputs will be installed to the
profile when you 'guix install emacs-importmagic'.

Propagating these will only work if the user already has 'python' in the
profile, which sets up PYTHONPATH.

For regular executables, we solve this by "wrapping" the executable with
PYTHONPATH to avoid the need for propagation.

Ideally we'd patch importmagic.el so that it automatically sets
PYTHONPATH referring to these two packages (prepending to any existing
PYTHONPATH).  I think python-shell-interpreter also should use the
absolute file name of the "python" executable so it does not have to be
installed separately.

Do you think that can work?

Thanks for chiming in Nicolas, I had completely missed those propagated
Python packages.  :-)