Subject: bug#41362: error when running guix pull on i686-linux

From: Mayeul Cantan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:25:39 +0200

> Does this bug still show up for you?
> 
>    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/41362
>

Hi Ludo,

Thanks to your comment regarding a possible memory corruption issue, I 
ran my memory module trough memtest86+, which identified several 
problematic addresses. So this was likely a hardware issue.

I tried blacklisting them with the memmap kernel command-line option, 
but that didn't fix the issue. Looking at the addresses, I reduced my 
memory to 600 MiBs (mem=600M, which seems to solve the issue, though it 
makes `guix pull` extremely slow.

I haven't touched that system in a while, so my recollection is a bit 
fuzzy. I am going to try again, though. (I would have loved to 
experiment on another computer on top of another distro, but wasn't 
ready to give guix root access back then).

I think this really was a HW issue, but I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your answers,

Mayeul

-- 

Mayeul Cantan

CPE Lyon Electronics Engineer
PhD student at the Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology
+33 6 43 50 36 25