Subject: bug#41361: Fwd: Re: python.el: improve sexp-based navigation or make it optional?

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 21:51:52 -0500

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> maybe make forward-sexp-function customizable. Currently that var is
>>> set inside the derived mode:
>>
>> I agree that this should be customizable.
>
> I too am a fan of sexp navigation (C-M-f, C-M-b, etc.)  If this
> navigation in indeed superior, we could consider making it the default
> for python-mode?  Something similar thing was done recently for
> nxml-mode, by changing nxml-sexp-element-flag from nil to t.  I liked
> this change very much.

I have been back to coding a bunch of Python lately, and having
experimented with this I think making it the default behavior is indeed
a good idea.

In the linked emacs-devel thread, I said that the old behavior was fine,
which I guess is true.  I have now come to the conclusion that it is
also worse than the alternative.  :-)