Subject: [bug#41350] [PATCH v2 3/3] system: vm: Build vm-image using native qemu, for the Hurd.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:29:39 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe writes:

Hello!

>> So it took me the whole day, but I ended up with the following patches
>
> Hey Ludo,

Thanks so much for helping out!

>> addressing these two points.  With that on master, I can do:
>>
>>   guix system vm --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf --no-grafts \
>>     gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl
>
> Nice! Many thanks for helping us on that :)

+1

>> Likewise, this produces what looks like a valid image, except probably
>> for the bootloader (I used GRUB in bare-bones, which didn’t complain,
>> but the result doesn’t work):
>>
>>   guix system vm-image --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf …
>>
>> Thoughts?

I have locally rebased wip-hurd-vm and wip-disk-image (working title for
wip-hurd-vm minus vm-image support) on it: it looks nice and works for
me building a disk-impage.

Building a vm-image still needs quite some work: I tried building a
vm-image without hurd-specific vm-image patches (bisecting a bit:
register-closures/grub/qemu-image preserve-target stuff)...but in the
end I still needed all these

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
0547e4c251 * wip-hurd-vm system: vm: Activate the Hurd.
8c28ab91a5 * system: vm: Initial vm-image support for the Hurd.
d9b84d03bc * system: vm: Add defaults for the Hurd.
29281d053f * system: vm: Build vm-image using native qemu, for the Hurd.
86edea90c4 * system: vm: Do not register-closures when cross-building to the Hurd.
a29437ad82 * utils: Move 'reset-timestamps' out of database.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

(especially the "using native qemu" patch was greatly reduced now)
as well as --no-grafts to get a vm-image.

So..as discussed on IRC yesterday I'm voting to drop/pause the vm-image
work for the Hurd and reset wip-hurd-vm to my current gitlab
wip-hurd-disk (or possibly push wip-hurd-disk...)  WDYT?

>> From 6e936131ca85aba24f82d35c4616afe835ac7da5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Ludovic=20Court=C3=A8s?= <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:57:41 +0200
>> Subject: [PATCH 7/7] gnu: guile-static: Disable JIT on ARMv7.
>
> The whole serie LGTM. It's nice to have cross-compilation working for
> both disk-images and vm-images!

I agree...although as noted above: how much effort do we want to put in
for the Hurd?

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com