Subject: Re: [bug#41350] [PATCH v2 3/3] system: vm: Build vm-image using native qemu, for the Hurd.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 08:36:19 +0200

> So it took me the whole day, but I ended up with the following patches

Hey Ludo,

> addressing these two points.  With that on master, I can do:
>
>   guix system vm --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf --no-grafts \
>     gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl

Nice! Many thanks for helping us on that :)

> Likewise, this produces what looks like a valid image, except probably
> for the bootloader (I used GRUB in bare-bones, which didn’t complain,
> but the result doesn’t work):
>
>   guix system vm-image --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf …
>
> Thoughts?

qemu-system-arm supports a whole range of machine. You can type:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
qemu-system-arm -M machine help
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

for the complete list. Depending on the selected machine, the required
bootloader differs. For the "virt" machine, it seems that we could pass
the bootloader as Qemu "bios" argument[1], but I'm not sure we can do
much better.

> Yeah, using the new image API will be nicer.  We still need to keep some
> of the API in (guix system vm), at least for the ‘guix system vm’
> command.

Yes, you are right.

> From 6e936131ca85aba24f82d35c4616afe835ac7da5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: =?UTF-8?q?Ludovic=20Court=C3=A8s?= <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:57:41 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 7/7] gnu: guile-static: Disable JIT on ARMv7.

The whole serie LGTM. It's nice to have cross-compilation working for
both disk-images and vm-images!

Mathieu

[1]:
https://github.com/ARM-software/u-boot/blob/master/doc/README.qemu-arm