Subject: Re: bug#41344: Font broken in GUI application with guix pack

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:43:11 +0200

Hi,

Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This is the command I ran to generate a pack:
> guix pack -RR -S /opt/zrythm/bin=bin -L . zrythm
>
> I then tried moving this pack to a VM running another distro
> (archlinux) and all letters are shown as boxes. I have asked other
> people to test it on other distros, including debian, and they reported
> the same issue.
>
> I am not exactly sure what is missing. Attaching a screenshot of what
> it looks like.
>
> I tried adding a propagated input for font-cantarell, font-gnu-freefont 
> and font-dejavu just to see if it would work, without success.

Did it work roughly before the ‘core-updates’ merge?

Our ‘fontconfig’ package searches ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts and
/run/current-system/profile/share/fonts by default, which obviously
doesn’t work on foreign distros.

As discussed on IRC, could you check “strace -f” the program and check
where it’s looking for fonts (TTFs?)?

Thanks,
Ludo’.