Subject: bug#41344: Font broken in GUI application with guix pack

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 20:11:20 +0200

Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is the command I ran to generate a pack:
> guix pack -RR -S /opt/zrythm/bin=bin -L . zrythm
>
> I then tried moving this pack to a VM running another distro
> (archlinux) and all letters are shown as boxes. I have asked other
> people to test it on other distros, including debian, and they reported
> the same issue.
>
> I am not exactly sure what is missing. Attaching a screenshot of what
> it looks like.

Can you try the patch posted at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-05/msg00281.html> ?

When no fonts are installed in the common Guix profiles, applications
only "see" the font hard-coded into fontconfig, which happens to be
broken[*] since the recent 'core-updates' merge for any application
using Pango (such as GTK+).

[*] because fontconfig currently uses "gs-fonts", which are bitmap only,
and Pango no longer supports bitmap fonts[**]
[**] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/386