Subject: bug#41282: closed (Re: [PATCH] gnu: fontconfig: Add replacement with font-dejavu instead of gs-fonts.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 22:02:03 +0000

Your bug report

#41282: doc: dot graphs display square glyphs instead of letters

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
41282: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41282
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: fontconfig: Add replacement with font-dejavu instead of gs-fonts.
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 00:00:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 04:50:12PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> This is a hack to make (some) fonts working when users don't have fonts
>> specified in their system configuration, and (crucially) places where
>> the fontconfig cache may be unavailable such as 'guix pack's.
>> 
>> I'm not sure whether font-dejavu is a good replacement here.  Another
>> approach could be to convert gs-fonts to TrueType or OpenType format.
>> 
>> Thoughts?  I don't know much about fonts and would appreciate feedback.
>
> I think you should push right away, assuming that it helps and doesn't
> rebuild the world.

I pushed the patch as ab9de8cfb0525ef43668712ac898707f97f9a620.

I verified that it fixes the immediate problem with fonts in the Guix
manual (#41282) as well as 'guix pack' (#41344).  It should also provide
a decent fallback for cases where the user did not explicitly install
any fonts such as in #41241.

Hoping for angry reports now about why such a poor replacement font was
chosen.  ;-)

Subject: doc: dot graphs display square glyphs instead of letters
From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 12:23:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

See for instance "12.1 The Reduced Binary Seed Bootstrap".
Commit 7bba5425473b5d193946e537de77c631ae6c3667.