Subject: bug#41278: 27.0.91; incorrect U+203E OVERLINE alignment with Fantasque Sans Mono

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 13:57:39 +0200

On 2020-05-15 14:25:03 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Does xterm support variable-pitch fonts?

Yes, but AFAIK, it systematically regards them as monospaced fonts,
i.e. the cell dimensions are always the same (and double-width
characters take 2 cells).

> If not, you will always see alignment in xterm, but not always in
> Emacs.

I think that if the main font is a monospaced font, Emacs should
honor this choice in font replacements, keeping the cell dimensions
of the main font.

Now, this would solve the alignment problem, but if Emacs just does
that using the current font replacement, there will still be a space
between the U+203E OVERLINE characters. This issue does not occur
with xterm.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)